Youtube Shares Top Love & Breakup For Valentine's Day
Valentine's Day is almost here, which means people are turning to flower shops, candy stores and restaurants in order to celebrate their significant others. But another crucial element that helps set the mood of the evening is, of course, music. It's not only roses and heart-shaped candy that make the day significant -- it turns out that song selection plays a big part in setting the tone of February 14.
Each Valentine's Day, YouTube sees a big spike in views for many love-related tunes, as well as some anti-love songs. In honor of this year's holiday, YouTube shared data on songs that, since 2016, have experienced the largest boosts in daily views.
One example of a song that saw a huge increase in views is Boyz II Men’s “I’ll Make Love to You,” which experienced a 93.83 percent increase on Valentine's Day last year. Celine Dion's "Because You Loved Me" came in second place with a 76.41 percent increase in views.
But not everyone is celebrating love this year. For some, Valentine's Day is also referred to as Singles Awareness Day, which requires a completely different playlist.
Luckily for those who are not in the mood for a Bruno Mars love song, YouTube also pulled together the top 20 songs that have been added to a breakup playlist this year, including Ariana Grande’s “thank u, next.”
Whether you're planning a romantic candelight dinner or spending the day solo, YouTube has compiled a list of songs featuring today's hits and all the classics that are sure to fit your Valentine's Day needs.
Here is a list of the top love songs and breakup anthems that might help set the tone for the day:
Methodology: Songs that experienced a spike on Valentine’s Day in 2016, 2017 and 2018
1. Boyz II Men - I'll Make Love to You
2. Celine Dion - Because You Loved Me
3. Elton John - Can You Feel The Love Tonight
4. Shania Twain - You're Still The One
5. Bruno Mars - Just the Way You Are
6. Stevie Wonder - Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours)
7. Richard Marx - Right Here Waiting
8. Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You
9. Savage Garden - Truly Madly Deeply
10. Enrique Iglesias - Hero
11. Elvis Presley - Can't Help Falling In Love
12. Usher - Nice & Slow
13. Bryan Adams - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You
14. K-Ci & JoJo - All My Life
15. John Legend - All of Me
Methodology: Songs most frequently added to playlists created over the last year with the word “breakup,” “break-up” or “break up” in their title.
1. Beyonce - Irreplaceable
2. Rihanna - Take A Bow (Main)
3. Sam Smith - Too Good At Goodbyes
4. A Great Big World - Say Something
5. Post Malone - I Fall Apart
6. Passenger - Let Her Go
7. Juice WRLD - Lucid Dreams
8. Halsey - Without Me
9. Ariana Grande - thank u, next
10. Gnash - i hate u, i love u (feat. Olivia O'Brien)
11. Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone
12. Taylor Swift - We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together
13. Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know (feat. Kimbra)
14. Beyonce - Best Thing I Never Had
15. Little Mix - Shout Out to My Ex
16. Adele - Someone Like You
17. Carrie Underwood - Before He Cheats
18. Rascal Flatts - What Hurts The Most
19. Eminem - Love The Way You Lie (feat. Rihanna)
20. Queen Naija - Medicine